PHOENIX — Salt River Project reached a milestone Tuesday thanks to Phoenix resident Brian Wharton.
His old, inefficient refrigerator marked the 50,000th appliance to be picked up for recycling by the utility company.
“That’s an awful lot of refrigerators, a sea of refrigerators,” said Wharton. “[I’m] happy to be anywhere in the lineup, but 50,000th is a good milestone for the recycling program.”
During the pick-up, SRP workers surprised Wharton with balloons and a gift basket, which included energy-efficient light bulbs and other items.
According to SRP, since its inception the program has saved enough energy to power more than 10,000 homes for a year, a regional shopping mall for five years or a professional sports complex for 10 years.
The utility has been recycling an average of 850 appliances per month since it began.
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food