PHOENIX — Salt River Project reached a milestone Tuesday thanks to Phoenix resident Brian Wharton.
His old, inefficient refrigerator marked the 50,000th appliance to be picked up for recycling by the utility company.
“That’s an awful lot of refrigerators, a sea of refrigerators,” said Wharton. “[I’m] happy to be anywhere in the lineup, but 50,000th is a good milestone for the recycling program.”
During the pick-up, SRP workers surprised Wharton with balloons and a gift basket, which included energy-efficient light bulbs and other items.
According to SRP, since its inception the program has saved enough energy to power more than 10,000 homes for a year, a regional shopping mall for five years or a professional sports complex for 10 years.
The utility has been recycling an average of 850 appliances per month since it began.
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night