PHOENIX — Salt River Project reached a milestone Tuesday thanks to Phoenix resident Brian Wharton.
His old, inefficient refrigerator marked the 50,000th appliance to be picked up for recycling by the utility company.
“That’s an awful lot of refrigerators, a sea of refrigerators,” said Wharton. “[I’m] happy to be anywhere in the lineup, but 50,000th is a good milestone for the recycling program.”
During the pick-up, SRP workers surprised Wharton with balloons and a gift basket, which included energy-efficient light bulbs and other items.
According to SRP, since its inception the program has saved enough energy to power more than 10,000 homes for a year, a regional shopping mall for five years or a professional sports complex for 10 years.
The utility has been recycling an average of 850 appliances per month since it began.
- Affordable small home makeovers for Mother's Day
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life