SCOTTSDALE, Ariz. — About 10 Scottsdale police officers will be testing on-body cameras for the next several months before the department decides if it will buy more of the devices.
The cameras are made by Taser and they’re called Axon Flex. They can be worn on the officer’s collar, glasses or hat and are about the size of a lipstick tube.
The video is crystal clear and so is the audio.
Unlike dash cams, these systems are mobile and capture exactly what the officer is seeing. In fact, when the officer pushes the record button the camera captures the 30 seconds before they hit the button.
Scottsdale Police Sgt. Mark Clark called the devices the ultimate in transparency for police work.
“That’s helpful because when an officer sees something and has time to react and turn the camera on, a lot of times the stimulus is already gone,” he said.”
Clark said the camera recently helped an officer after an encounter with a citizen who made a bogus claim.
“Internal Affairs looked at the video and it was completely contrary to what the complaining citizen said.”
But the devices protect citizens as well. If they go to court, they would have access to the officer’s video.
Clark said Phoenix and Mesa police are also testing out the cameras. Lake Havasu City has outfitted all of their officers with the devices.
“Lake Havasu went into it with both feet,” he said. “And their feedback to us was helpful. It’s technology that has certainly come of age for policing.
The cameras and software cost about $1,000 each.
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food