PHOENIX – Despite the summer heat of the Valley, the city of Phoenix has its share of construction workers tirelessly working day in and day out.
According to the Phoenix Business Journal, new data from the Associated General Contractors of America revealed that the Phoenix metro area ranks third when it comes to new construction work.
From June 2012 to June 2013, Phoenix added 9,600 jobs for a total construction workforce of 97,700 last month.
According to the data, Phoenix’s job growth rate was at 11 percent, one of the strongest of the metro areas.
“Although construction activity remains extremely spotty, with strong residential activity offsetting lackluster private nonresidential investment and shrinking public construction spending, workers are being hired in more and more metro areas,” he [Ken Simonson, chief economist with the AGCA] said.
But with a shaky economy, certain officials said construction companies still face challenges.
“Construction employment is heading in the right direction for now, but demand remains weak and the industry’s recovery is still very fragile,” said Stephen Sandherr, the association’s CEO. “Beyond the obvious threats to the broader economy, cutting investments in vital infrastructure projects puts some of these new construction jobs at risk.”
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck