PHOENIX — Spirit Airlines will be relocating from Mesa Gateway to Sky Harbor, and begin service there in October, the company announced Tuesday.
The Florida-based, fees-heavy carrier will stop operating out of the Mesa airport Oct. 23. The next day, Spirit begins nonstop service between Sky Harbor and Dallas/Fort Worth.
“Phoenix is open for business,” Phoenix Mayor Greg Stanton said in a statement.
Service includes daily seasonal nonstops to Chicago O’Hare International and Denver starting Nov. 7. The airline will fly out of Terminal 3.
“What Spirit has told us is that their customers are asking to go from primary airport to primary airport,” said Deborah Ostreicher, deputy aviation director for Sky Harbor.
Spirit ended Phoenix-area service from Gateway to Denver in late January.
Allegiant remains at Gateway.
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America