PHOENIX — A new school year brings thousands of buses filled with students across Arizona, but some kids may not make it home as easily as parents expect.
“We hope that it doesn’t happen, but we know it will with so many new kids coming on who haven’t ridden a bus before,” said Armando Cuellar, transportation supervisor for the Madison Elementary School District in Phoenix.
Cuellar oversees a fleet of 32 buses that move about 2,100 students every day. He said the biggest challenge is old information.
“Some parents haven’t updated their addresses in the school records and that’s what [drivers] go by.”
Cuellar suggested parents write the correct address on a piece of paper and place it in a backpack or other item their child carries. Cuellar said it’s also important for parents to talk to students about talking to drivers – especially if there’s a problem.
“They see the bus driver and have that little fear that the bus driver is talking to me and think ‘What did I do?’ and they clam up really tight,” he said.
Cuellar said parents should make sure their kid know the driver’s name and the driver knows their child’s name.
He said if a driver cannot determine the child’s correct address then the bus will return to school where a parent will be called to pick up the student.
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns