PHOENIX — A new school year brings thousands of buses filled with students across Arizona, but some kids may not make it home as easily as parents expect.
“We hope that it doesn’t happen, but we know it will with so many new kids coming on who haven’t ridden a bus before,” said Armando Cuellar, transportation supervisor for the Madison Elementary School District in Phoenix.
Cuellar oversees a fleet of 32 buses that move about 2,100 students every day. He said the biggest challenge is old information.
“Some parents haven’t updated their addresses in the school records and that’s what [drivers] go by.”
Cuellar suggested parents write the correct address on a piece of paper and place it in a backpack or other item their child carries. Cuellar said it’s also important for parents to talk to students about talking to drivers – especially if there’s a problem.
“They see the bus driver and have that little fear that the bus driver is talking to me and think ‘What did I do?’ and they clam up really tight,” he said.
Cuellar said parents should make sure their kid know the driver’s name and the driver knows their child’s name.
He said if a driver cannot determine the child’s correct address then the bus will return to school where a parent will be called to pick up the student.
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them