PHOENIX — Former major-league pitcher Frank Castillo is believed to have drowned at Bartlett Lake over the weekend.
An El Paso television station originally reported that the family said he was dead, although no body has been recovered. The Maricopa County Sherrif’s Office confirmed Monday that it had recovered Castillo’s body.
Castillo had gone swimming and did not resurface. He had been on a pontoon boat with a friend.
Castillo lived near the lake, about 45 minutes outside of Phoenix. He grew up in El Paso.
The right-hander spent 13 seasons in the major leagues, playing for the Chicago Cubs, Colorado, Boston and Florida, among others. He retired after the 2005 season.
“Everyone who knew Frank loved Frank. We are devastated by this loss,” his family said in statement.
KTAR’s Martha Maurer contributed to this report.
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development