PHOENIX — Former major-league pitcher Frank Castillo is believed to have drowned at Bartlett Lake over the weekend.
An El Paso television station originally reported that the family said he was dead, although no body has been recovered. The Maricopa County Sherrif’s Office confirmed Monday that it had recovered Castillo’s body.
Castillo had gone swimming and did not resurface. He had been on a pontoon boat with a friend.
Castillo lived near the lake, about 45 minutes outside of Phoenix. He grew up in El Paso.
The right-hander spent 13 seasons in the major leagues, playing for the Chicago Cubs, Colorado, Boston and Florida, among others. He retired after the 2005 season.
“Everyone who knew Frank loved Frank. We are devastated by this loss,” his family said in statement.
KTAR’s Martha Maurer contributed to this report.
- Cold beers and baseball: A beer lover's guide to Spring Training
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains