PHOENIX — Bus riders in the East Valley could soon be left without a ride Thursday if talks between Valley Metro and a bus drivers’ union fail.
The labor discussions have been on-going since the beginning of the year, but were placed on a temporary hold earlier in July to avoid a strike.
“That’s winding down now,” said Susan Tierny with Valley Metro. “They will be taking a vote and they will be determining whether or not to strike. That strike could take effect as early as Aug. 1.”
Tierny said residents in Chandler, Gilbert, Mesa, Tempe and some parts of Phoenix and Scottsdale should prepare in the event bus service grinds to a halt.
“Try to get rides from family members, friends, ask your boss if you can telecommute,” she said. “Start looking now at the different options you may have.”
In total, the strike would affect 40 bus routes, effectively leaving 57,000 passengers without a ride.
For more information, go to valleymetro.org.
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night