PHOENIX — Bus riders in the East Valley could soon be left without a ride Thursday if talks between Valley Metro and a bus drivers’ union fail.
The labor discussions have been on-going since the beginning of the year, but were placed on a temporary hold earlier in July to avoid a strike.
“That’s winding down now,” said Susan Tierny with Valley Metro. “They will be taking a vote and they will be determining whether or not to strike. That strike could take effect as early as Aug. 1.”
Tierny said residents in Chandler, Gilbert, Mesa, Tempe and some parts of Phoenix and Scottsdale should prepare in the event bus service grinds to a halt.
“Try to get rides from family members, friends, ask your boss if you can telecommute,” she said. “Start looking now at the different options you may have.”
In total, the strike would affect 40 bus routes, effectively leaving 57,000 passengers without a ride.
For more information, go to valleymetro.org.
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon