PHOENIX — Bus riders in the East Valley could soon be left without a ride Thursday if talks between Valley Metro and a bus drivers’ union fail.
The labor discussions have been on-going since the beginning of the year, but were placed on a temporary hold earlier in July to avoid a strike.
“That’s winding down now,” said Susan Tierny with Valley Metro. “They will be taking a vote and they will be determining whether or not to strike. That strike could take effect as early as Aug. 1.”
Tierny said residents in Chandler, Gilbert, Mesa, Tempe and some parts of Phoenix and Scottsdale should prepare in the event bus service grinds to a halt.
“Try to get rides from family members, friends, ask your boss if you can telecommute,” she said. “Start looking now at the different options you may have.”
In total, the strike would affect 40 bus routes, effectively leaving 57,000 passengers without a ride.
For more information, go to valleymetro.org.
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck