PHOENIX — Once thought to be near extinction, an antelope from the Middle East has resurfaced again at the Phoenix Zoo.
The Arabian Oryx calf, a species of antelope that was declared extinct from its natural habitat in 1972, welcomed its 240th member into the family earlier this week.
According to the Phoenix’s Zoo Facebook page, efforts to prevent the extinction of the species have been going on for the last 50 years in the zoo.
The 15 pound female was born on exhibit early Wednesday morning before staff arrived for the day. This marks the 240th Arabian Oryx born at the Phoenix Zoo, as part of a species survival plan that began in the 1960s.
The efforts by the Phoenix Zoo, along with the partnership with organizations like the Royal Society for the Conservation of Nature in Jordan have brought back the numbers of the Oryx calf to about 1,200 animals that now live in the wild.
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night