PHOENIX — Once thought to be near extinction, an antelope from the Middle East has resurfaced again at the Phoenix Zoo.
The Arabian Oryx calf, a species of antelope that was declared extinct from its natural habitat in 1972, welcomed its 240th member into the family earlier this week.
According to the Phoenix’s Zoo Facebook page, efforts to prevent the extinction of the species have been going on for the last 50 years in the zoo.
The 15 pound female was born on exhibit early Wednesday morning before staff arrived for the day. This marks the 240th Arabian Oryx born at the Phoenix Zoo, as part of a species survival plan that began in the 1960s.
The efforts by the Phoenix Zoo, along with the partnership with organizations like the Royal Society for the Conservation of Nature in Jordan have brought back the numbers of the Oryx calf to about 1,200 animals that now live in the wild.
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food