PHOENIX — Once thought to be near extinction, an antelope from the Middle East has resurfaced again at the Phoenix Zoo.
The Arabian Oryx calf, a species of antelope that was declared extinct from its natural habitat in 1972, welcomed its 240th member into the family earlier this week.
According to the Phoenix’s Zoo Facebook page, efforts to prevent the extinction of the species have been going on for the last 50 years in the zoo.
The 15 pound female was born on exhibit early Wednesday morning before staff arrived for the day. This marks the 240th Arabian Oryx born at the Phoenix Zoo, as part of a species survival plan that began in the 1960s.
The efforts by the Phoenix Zoo, along with the partnership with organizations like the Royal Society for the Conservation of Nature in Jordan have brought back the numbers of the Oryx calf to about 1,200 animals that now live in the wild.
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development