Arizona is not a state known for its fine wines, but according to Yahoo! Finance that reputation might have changed thanks to two homegrown products.
For the first time ever, two Arizona-based wines were given 90-point scores by popular lifestyle magazine Wine Spectator.
The wines, a 2010 Colibri Syrah, Clone 174 and a 2010 Burning Tree Cellars Colibri Syrah, Clone 99, earned an “outstanding” rating by the magazine’s senior editor James Molsworth during a blind tasting.
[Molsworth] called the Page Springs Cellars Syrah “Sleek and pure, fresh and driven overall” and said “Ripe, sleek and focused, with a well-embedded acidity” of the Burning Tree Syrah.
Both of the 90-point Arizona wines were made from grapes grown on the Colibri Vineyard in southern Arizona and blended, bottled and cellared at Page Springs Cellars in Cornville, Arizona.
“We’ve been dealt our share of challenges as winegrowers in Arizona — both in the uncharacteristically unique trials of the land and climate, to overcoming and winning over perceptions of Arizona as a winemaking region at all,” Page Springs Cellars owner Eric Glomski said in a press release. “We’re so proud of the wine industry here in Arizona, and are more than thrilled to be producing the caliber of wines that we always knew was possible.
“These scores came as a result of a lot of hard work from a lot of people, but ultimately this is a triumph for Arizona.”
According to Page Springs Cellars’ press release, while the award-winning wines are currently sold out, pre-orders of both syrahs will be available online for $50 per bottle.
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development