Arizona is not a state known for its fine wines, but according to Yahoo! Finance that reputation might have changed thanks to two homegrown products.
For the first time ever, two Arizona-based wines were given 90-point scores by popular lifestyle magazine Wine Spectator.
The wines, a 2010 Colibri Syrah, Clone 174 and a 2010 Burning Tree Cellars Colibri Syrah, Clone 99, earned an “outstanding” rating by the magazine’s senior editor James Molsworth during a blind tasting.
[Molsworth] called the Page Springs Cellars Syrah “Sleek and pure, fresh and driven overall” and said “Ripe, sleek and focused, with a well-embedded acidity” of the Burning Tree Syrah.
Both of the 90-point Arizona wines were made from grapes grown on the Colibri Vineyard in southern Arizona and blended, bottled and cellared at Page Springs Cellars in Cornville, Arizona.
“We’ve been dealt our share of challenges as winegrowers in Arizona — both in the uncharacteristically unique trials of the land and climate, to overcoming and winning over perceptions of Arizona as a winemaking region at all,” Page Springs Cellars owner Eric Glomski said in a press release. “We’re so proud of the wine industry here in Arizona, and are more than thrilled to be producing the caliber of wines that we always knew was possible.
“These scores came as a result of a lot of hard work from a lot of people, but ultimately this is a triumph for Arizona.”
According to Page Springs Cellars’ press release, while the award-winning wines are currently sold out, pre-orders of both syrahs will be available online for $50 per bottle.
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America