Arizona is not a state known for its fine wines, but according to Yahoo! Finance that reputation might have changed thanks to two homegrown products.
For the first time ever, two Arizona-based wines were given 90-point scores by popular lifestyle magazine Wine Spectator.
The wines, a 2010 Colibri Syrah, Clone 174 and a 2010 Burning Tree Cellars Colibri Syrah, Clone 99, earned an “outstanding” rating by the magazine’s senior editor James Molsworth during a blind tasting.
[Molsworth] called the Page Springs Cellars Syrah “Sleek and pure, fresh and driven overall” and said “Ripe, sleek and focused, with a well-embedded acidity” of the Burning Tree Syrah.
Both of the 90-point Arizona wines were made from grapes grown on the Colibri Vineyard in southern Arizona and blended, bottled and cellared at Page Springs Cellars in Cornville, Arizona.
“We’ve been dealt our share of challenges as winegrowers in Arizona — both in the uncharacteristically unique trials of the land and climate, to overcoming and winning over perceptions of Arizona as a winemaking region at all,” Page Springs Cellars owner Eric Glomski said in a press release. “We’re so proud of the wine industry here in Arizona, and are more than thrilled to be producing the caliber of wines that we always knew was possible.
“These scores came as a result of a lot of hard work from a lot of people, but ultimately this is a triumph for Arizona.”
According to Page Springs Cellars’ press release, while the award-winning wines are currently sold out, pre-orders of both syrahs will be available online for $50 per bottle.
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets