PHOENIX — A serious stomach bug has hit 11 states and sickened 300 people but so far the outbreak hasn’t reached Arizona.
Cyclospora is not new but the parasite is making a comeback. It can cause cramping, fatigue and diarrhea. Cases have been reported in Connecticut, Georgia, Illinois, Iowa, Kansas, Minnesota, Nebraska, New Jersey, Ohio and Wisconsin. The farthest western state is Texas.
Jessica Rigler with the Arizona Department of Health Services said people could confuse the stomach bug with food poisoning. The department has alerted doctors and hospitals statewide to be on the lookout for cases.
The source of the outbreak hasn’t been pinpointed but it’s possible that a tiny parasite is coming from foods from overseas. It takes from two to 14 days to develop and the intestinal issues can linger for a month. The bug can be treated with antibiotics.
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food