PHOENIX — The Arizona Cardinals’ training camp has begun and for the first time since 1988, it’s not in Flagstaff.
“It hurts,” Julie Pastrick said. Pastrick is president of the Flagstaff Chamber of Commerce.
The NFL team struck a deal with the City of Glendale during the offseason to move camp down to the Valley.
Former host Northern Arizona University estimated the team’s yearly impact at about $10 million. Flagstaff Chamber said it believes the numbers are lower and expect to lose about $6 million dollars without the team.
Pastrick said the economic impact will be felt by the entire community.
“Hotels, motels, restaurants, bars, the malls and downtown Flagstaff. It hurts because we have had such a long term relationship with the team,” she said.
Pastrick said about 90-100 jobs were lost.
- Tech-related injuries your parents never experienced
- Workers comp: Signs your co-worker could be a fraud
- Who's the real founder of America's pastime?
- Epidemic rising? What you need to know about Alzheimer's in Arizona
- 5 unforgettable Wooden Award winners
- Family and hard work are keys to success of modern dairy farmers
- Genetic testing could hold answers for colon cancer survival
- Cold beers and baseball: A beer lover's guide to Spring Training
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates