PHOENIX — The Arizona economy will benefit enormously should immigration reform be passed, a new study said.
According to the Phoenix New Times, Arizona’s economy would grow by $500 million over a five-year period should Congress act on immigration.
A report from the Morrison Institute of Public Policy said the financial gain could begin in 2026, the soonest immigrants would be able to become citizens.
“Generally speaking,” says Mike Slaven, a policy analyst and the study’s author, “having more people out of the shadows is better and will increase the size of the economy.”
The report did not consider other economical factors and solely focused on granting current illegal immigrants legal status. Those workers would theoretically see an 8 to 11 percent increase in salary.
“They can compete for jobs that only citizens are eligible for,” Slaven says. “The other reason is that employers tend to be more willing to invest in skills if their employee is an American citizen.”
The report said that, should Arizona’s illegal workforce of 190,000 people be legalized, the state would gain $1.17 for every $1 those workers earn.
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick