PHOENIX — The Arizona economy will benefit enormously should immigration reform be passed, a new study said.
According to the Phoenix New Times, Arizona’s economy would grow by $500 million over a five-year period should Congress act on immigration.
A report from the Morrison Institute of Public Policy said the financial gain could begin in 2026, the soonest immigrants would be able to become citizens.
“Generally speaking,” says Mike Slaven, a policy analyst and the study’s author, “having more people out of the shadows is better and will increase the size of the economy.”
The report did not consider other economical factors and solely focused on granting current illegal immigrants legal status. Those workers would theoretically see an 8 to 11 percent increase in salary.
“They can compete for jobs that only citizens are eligible for,” Slaven says. “The other reason is that employers tend to be more willing to invest in skills if their employee is an American citizen.”
The report said that, should Arizona’s illegal workforce of 190,000 people be legalized, the state would gain $1.17 for every $1 those workers earn.
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas