PHOENIX — The U.S. Department of Education’s Office for Civil Rights has opened an investigation into a complaint against Queen Creek High’s “Redneck Day” held earlier this year.
The complaint against the Queen Creek Unified School District was filed by Phoenix civil rights activist Rev. Jarrett Maupin. In the complaint, Maupin said the event created a racially hostile environment.
Redneck Day, organized in May by the school’s student council, angered several students and parents.
“I hope district leaders will demonstrate what racial cooperation and harmony looks like by working with leaders from communities of color to change policies and prevent ‘Redneck Day’ or any like it from happening again,” Maupin said in a statement.
In a letter to Maupin, the Department of Education noted that, the office “is a neutral fact-finder, collecting and analyzing relevant evidence from the complainant, the recipient, and other sources, as appropriate.”
The letter also stated that investigations could be terminated if the school district takes action to resolve the issue or an agreement between parties is reached.
One Queen Creek High student wore a Confederate flag during the May 1 event.
The DOE’s Office for Civil Rights says “the display of the Confederate flag
concerns rights protected by the First Amendment.”
But it also says in a letter that the investigation’s scope “will be limited
to whether a racially hostile environment was created due to language and
actions that were not protected by the First Amendment.”
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.