PHOENIX — The U.S. Department of Education’s Office for Civil Rights has opened an investigation into a complaint against Queen Creek High’s “Redneck Day” held earlier this year.
The complaint against the Queen Creek Unified School District was filed by Phoenix civil rights activist Rev. Jarrett Maupin. In the complaint, Maupin said the event created a racially hostile environment.
Redneck Day, organized in May by the school’s student council, angered several students and parents.
“I hope district leaders will demonstrate what racial cooperation and harmony looks like by working with leaders from communities of color to change policies and prevent ‘Redneck Day’ or any like it from happening again,” Maupin said in a statement.
In a letter to Maupin, the Department of Education noted that, the office “is a neutral fact-finder, collecting and analyzing relevant evidence from the complainant, the recipient, and other sources, as appropriate.”
The letter also stated that investigations could be terminated if the school district takes action to resolve the issue or an agreement between parties is reached.
One Queen Creek High student wore a Confederate flag during the May 1 event.
The DOE’s Office for Civil Rights says “the display of the Confederate flag
concerns rights protected by the First Amendment.”
But it also says in a letter that the investigation’s scope “will be limited
to whether a racially hostile environment was created due to language and
actions that were not protected by the First Amendment.”
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food