PHOENIX — While a report from the Commerce Department showed new home sales were up 8.3 percent in June, new numbers from Realty Trac showed existing-home sales in Arizona are going in the opposite direction.
“We saw residential home sales down 15 percent year-over year, which was quite a big difference (in Phoenix),” said Daren Blomquist, vice president of Realty Trac. “In Arizona, overall, these home sales were down 13 percent.”
Blomquist said that’s probably because house hunters in the state have fewer properties to see.
“We don’t believe it has to do with the fact that all of a sudden there’s less demand, but more about a lack of inventory. We see that especially with the distressed inventory,” said Blomquist.
According to Realty Trac, the lack of inventory and steady demand are increasing home values in Arizona, which are up 22 percent from last June.
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.