PHOENIX — While a report from the Commerce Department showed new home sales were up 8.3 percent in June, new numbers from Realty Trac showed existing-home sales in Arizona are going in the opposite direction.
“We saw residential home sales down 15 percent year-over year, which was quite a big difference (in Phoenix),” said Daren Blomquist, vice president of Realty Trac. “In Arizona, overall, these home sales were down 13 percent.”
Blomquist said that’s probably because house hunters in the state have fewer properties to see.
“We don’t believe it has to do with the fact that all of a sudden there’s less demand, but more about a lack of inventory. We see that especially with the distressed inventory,” said Blomquist.
According to Realty Trac, the lack of inventory and steady demand are increasing home values in Arizona, which are up 22 percent from last June.
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development