PHOENIX — Heavy rain and lightning strikes early Thursday morning have put flights behind schedule at Sky Harbor Airport and made the morning commute difficult.
Sky Harbor received about three-quarters of an inch of rain and the storm is severe enough that the National Weather Service issued an urban flood advisory for the southeast Phoenix area of Ahwatukee, Tempe and Laveen.
The Federal Aviation Administration’s airport status site listed outbound flights were being held at their gates, while inbound flights were delayed by about 15 minutes.
Weather Service spokesman Chris Kuhlman said more rain is on the way at least through Saturday. The Valley has reached 4.5 inches of rain for the year, about a half-inch above the norm. The official gauge is at the airport, where it had gone 101 days without any measurable rainfall until last week.
The record streak without rainfall at Sky Harbor is 160 days set in 1972.
KTAR’s Jim Cross contributed to this article.
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier