PHOENIX — Heavy rain and lightning strikes early Thursday morning have put flights behind schedule at Sky Harbor Airport and made the morning commute difficult.
Sky Harbor received about three-quarters of an inch of rain and the storm is severe enough that the National Weather Service issued an urban flood advisory for the southeast Phoenix area of Ahwatukee, Tempe and Laveen.
The Federal Aviation Administration’s airport status site listed outbound flights were being held at their gates, while inbound flights were delayed by about 15 minutes.
Weather Service spokesman Chris Kuhlman said more rain is on the way at least through Saturday. The Valley has reached 4.5 inches of rain for the year, about a half-inch above the norm. The official gauge is at the airport, where it had gone 101 days without any measurable rainfall until last week.
The record streak without rainfall at Sky Harbor is 160 days set in 1972.
KTAR’s Jim Cross contributed to this article.
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development