PHOENIX — Environmental and community leaders continue their fight against the proposed South Mountain Freeway.
Citing serious health concerns during a press conference Wednesday, the groups said the freeway should never be built down Pecos Road and through the western edge of South Mountain.
“It will impact the entire sub-airshed in the Ahwatukee area because you’ve got South Mountain that’s going to trap these fumes,” said Howard Shanker, an attorney representing the community and environmentalist groups.
ADOT recently sent Shanker and his clients a report that showed there will be little environmental impact if the freeway is built. Opponents called the data misleading.
“There are significant flaws in the draft environmental impact statement,” Shanker said. “For example, ADOT indicates that the freeway is necessary to support projected population growth, but the population data they use is grossly overinflated.”
Shanker said ADOT chose to use census data from 2005, even though there were updated figures from 2010, which would drastically decrease their population projections.
Freeway construction could start as soon as 2015 and would take five years to complete.
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.