PHOENIX — Environmental and community leaders continue their fight against the proposed South Mountain Freeway.
Citing serious health concerns during a press conference Wednesday, the groups said the freeway should never be built down Pecos Road and through the western edge of South Mountain.
“It will impact the entire sub-airshed in the Ahwatukee area because you’ve got South Mountain that’s going to trap these fumes,” said Howard Shanker, an attorney representing the community and environmentalist groups.
ADOT recently sent Shanker and his clients a report that showed there will be little environmental impact if the freeway is built. Opponents called the data misleading.
“There are significant flaws in the draft environmental impact statement,” Shanker said. “For example, ADOT indicates that the freeway is necessary to support projected population growth, but the population data they use is grossly overinflated.”
Shanker said ADOT chose to use census data from 2005, even though there were updated figures from 2010, which would drastically decrease their population projections.
Freeway construction could start as soon as 2015 and would take five years to complete.
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips