PHOENIX — Two people were killed after they were struck by lightning at a northern Arizona lookout, the Coconino Sheriff’s Office said.
The victims were a couple visiting from another country. They were standing with other people on a lookout about eight miles north of Jacobs Lake on Highway 89A when they were struck.
Both died at the scene. They have not been identified.
A boy unrelated to the couple was also struck. He sustained non life-threatening injuries.
Officials said that summer storms can bring unexpected lightning and people need to take precautions to stay safe.
“Avoid metal objects, including electric wires, fences, metal machinery, motors and power tools,” said Gerry Blair with CCSO. “Unsafe places include underneath an open canopy, a small picnic or rain shelter or near a tree.”
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- 2016 college football rivalry games you simply can't miss
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever