PHOENIX — Two people were killed after they were struck by lightning at a northern Arizona lookout, the Coconino Sheriff’s Office said.
The victims were a couple visiting from another country. They were standing with other people on a lookout about eight miles north of Jacobs Lake on Highway 89A when they were struck.
Both died at the scene. They have not been identified.
A boy unrelated to the couple was also struck. He sustained non life-threatening injuries.
Officials said that summer storms can bring unexpected lightning and people need to take precautions to stay safe.
“Avoid metal objects, including electric wires, fences, metal machinery, motors and power tools,” said Gerry Blair with CCSO. “Unsafe places include underneath an open canopy, a small picnic or rain shelter or near a tree.”
- Affordable small home makeovers for Mother's Day
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life