PHOENIX — Two people were killed after they were struck by lightning at a northern Arizona lookout, the Coconino Sheriff’s Office said.
The victims were a couple visiting from another country. They were standing with other people on a lookout about eight miles north of Jacobs Lake on Highway 89A when they were struck.
Both died at the scene. They have not been identified.
A boy unrelated to the couple was also struck. He sustained non life-threatening injuries.
Officials said that summer storms can bring unexpected lightning and people need to take precautions to stay safe.
“Avoid metal objects, including electric wires, fences, metal machinery, motors and power tools,” said Gerry Blair with CCSO. “Unsafe places include underneath an open canopy, a small picnic or rain shelter or near a tree.”
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets