YARNELL, Ariz. — More than 100 homes in Yarnell were destroyed almost one month ago and residents continue the painful process of cleaning up the damage.
Glen Ilah is a subdivision of Yarnell. It’s where three out of four homes were lost.
Chuck Roberts lost his house and barn. He plans to rebuild, but he’s not sure when. He has a place to stay until his new home is up.
“We still have the insurance people coming and taking a look,” Roberts said. “I’m in no hurry and my neighbors need help far more than I do.”
He said most of his neighbors plan to rebuild, but not all.
“The next day some people were heading for California and Oregon and said, ‘We don’t own insurance, my home is gone, I have nothing to come back to.'”
Just a few doors down from his home, a house was burned to its foundation. Only the chimney remains standing. The glass windows had melted from the heat of the wildfire.
For volunteer, fundraising and other ways to assist those affected by the Yarnell Hill Fire, go to yarnellfallenfirefighters.com.
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development