PHOENIX — Crooks are sending text messages to Valley residents in hopes of luring them to divulge personal information.
The messages read, “(ALERT) Call 5126875961 or 3054559475 FCU ARIZONA” and “(NOTICE) Call 3054559475 Arizona FCU.”
While most people have disregarded the messages, there have been unsuspecting victims who’ve called the number and provided their debit card information.
“We’ve heard from our members and non-members who have received these messages both containing some form of our name, as well, as the names of other financial institutions,” said Senior Director of Marketing for Arizona Federal Credit Union Steve Kelley.
Kelly said they have discovered that the people sending these messages are using text capabilities available over the Internet through wireless carriers.
“It is our understanding that law enforcement has taken steps to shut down some of these numbers,” he said. “We know that wireless carriers are working to shut them down as well.”
In the meantime, consumers are urged to notify their financial institutions if they receive a similar text.
- Peak your palate with gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again