PHOENIX — Leaders in the town of Carefree said they need to spend money to make money.
“Carefree is one of the very few towns that does not have a property tax,” said Councilmember Melissa Price.
The town of about 3,500 residents relies heavily on sales tax revenues to pay for police, fire, roads and town staff. Price said businesses have slowly died and sales tax revenues haven’t grown. That’s why they are focused on making Carefree more attractive to visitors.
Recently, Carefree installed pedestrian lights, banners, free Wi-Fi and a desert garden in the town center.
“We see it becoming more and more a local town that you can walk through and make an afternoon visit and know you’re going to have beautiful gardens to walk through as well as go shopping,” said Price.
She said future plans include improving the amphitheater and installing a small splash pad for kids.
- 7 common ways to get sued by your employees
- Why it might be time to upgrade your toilet
- Arizona teachers are building a better future by using technology in the classroom
- How to make summer reading fun for the whole family
- How to find relief for chronic joint pain
- Can the NBA Lottery save the Suns?
- Skip Urgent Care: 5 ailments you can treat with telemedicine
- Skin Cancer in Arizona: Stats, facts and new immunotherapy drugs making strides
- Distracted walking injuries end up not so funny
- Scary situations: 5 quick tips before you let a contractor in your home
- Four ways telemedicine is changing the health care industry
- 5 mistakes homeowners make in the spring
- Three rivers run through it: Exploring Arizona's waterways
- Smart home basics: things you need to know to get started
- 5 Surprising things causing back pain
- Arizona agriculture is a $17.1B industry
- Timeline: Arizona's roots in brewing history
- 5 reasons to love the D-backs this season
- Tips for taking your home entertainment experience to the backyard
- Tech-related injuries your parents never experienced
- Workers comp: Signs your co-worker could be a fraud
- Who's the real founder of America's pastime?
- Epidemic rising? What you need to know about Alzheimer's in Arizona
- 5 unforgettable Wooden Award winners
- Family and hard work are keys to success of modern dairy farmers
- Genetic testing could hold answers for colon cancer survival
- Cold beers and baseball: A beer lover's guide to Spring Training
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments