PHOENIX — Leaders in the town of Carefree said they need to spend money to make money.
“Carefree is one of the very few towns that does not have a property tax,” said Councilmember Melissa Price.
The town of about 3,500 residents relies heavily on sales tax revenues to pay for police, fire, roads and town staff. Price said businesses have slowly died and sales tax revenues haven’t grown. That’s why they are focused on making Carefree more attractive to visitors.
Recently, Carefree installed pedestrian lights, banners, free Wi-Fi and a desert garden in the town center.
“We see it becoming more and more a local town that you can walk through and make an afternoon visit and know you’re going to have beautiful gardens to walk through as well as go shopping,” said Price.
She said future plans include improving the amphitheater and installing a small splash pad for kids.
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy