PHOENIX — Just three weeks after the deadliest wildfire in Arizona history took the lives of 19 Granite Mountain hotshots and destroyed more than 100 structures in Yarnell, flooding is now very much a concern in that community.
Jim Paxon with Arizona State Forestry said the Yarnell Hill Fire essentially burned almost everything on the hillsides near Yarnell, leaving very little to stop rainwater.
“The grass and brush hold everything in place,” he said. “They act as a filter to slow water down. If the area sees heavy rainfall, they will see several incidents of flooding. Any rain over a half-inch over a short duration is going to be a problem.”
Paxon said about 30,000 sandbags brought in by the Arizona Division of Emergency Management are in the process of being filled and will be placed around Yarnell homes to prevent flooding.
Paxon said it could be years before the hillsides recover.
“The grass will regrow if we have gentle rains and if we get out of this persistent drought and then that country will recover. The oak and manzanita will sprout and regenerate.”
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food