PHOENIX — Just three weeks after the deadliest wildfire in Arizona history took the lives of 19 Granite Mountain hotshots and destroyed more than 100 structures in Yarnell, flooding is now very much a concern in that community.
Jim Paxon with Arizona State Forestry said the Yarnell Hill Fire essentially burned almost everything on the hillsides near Yarnell, leaving very little to stop rainwater.
“The grass and brush hold everything in place,” he said. “They act as a filter to slow water down. If the area sees heavy rainfall, they will see several incidents of flooding. Any rain over a half-inch over a short duration is going to be a problem.”
Paxon said about 30,000 sandbags brought in by the Arizona Division of Emergency Management are in the process of being filled and will be placed around Yarnell homes to prevent flooding.
Paxon said it could be years before the hillsides recover.
“The grass will regrow if we have gentle rains and if we get out of this persistent drought and then that country will recover. The oak and manzanita will sprout and regenerate.”
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development