PHOENIX — A New York man was arrested on suspicion of stalking two national news anchors in Phoenix while they were covering the Jodi Arias trial, the Maricopa County Sheriff’s Office said in a release.
David Lee Simpson, 48, was arrested in Bath, New York after a month-long investigation. MCSO said Simpson became infatuated with Arias and was angered by the way the female anchors covered the trial. He allegedly sent the anchors threatening tweets.
MCSO said some of the tweets threatened to strap the anchors to a “tree naked and leave them to suffer all night” and “slit their throats.” Simpson also allegedly told a co-worker he wanted to gut one anchor “like a deer.”
“Threats against anyone have to be taken seriously,” Maricopa County Sheriff Joe Arpaio said in a press release. “Media personalities are frequent targets and because of their high visibility, they are particularly vulnerable. A few in the past have been stalked and murdered.
Simpson was arrested after he quit his job. He was located by police and was found to be in possession of guns, ammunition, handcuffs, zip-ties, binoculars, a knife and a police radio. A receipt for a shotgun was also found, but the gun has not been located.
“This suspect was on his way south with enough weapons in his car to do serious harm to someone,” said Arpaio. “Fortunately, we acted quickly and in so doing, were able to stop him before anything could transpire.”
Simpson was also in possession of several newspaper clippings concerning shootings, including some about the shooting at a Newtown, Conn., elementary school.
Simpson was charged with three counts of computer tampering and two counts of stalking. All are felonies. He is scheduled to be transported to Phoenix on Wednesday.
The anchors have not been identified, per a request from Turner Broadcasting. Turner owns CNN, one of the main networks that covered the trial.
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- 2016 college football rivalry games you simply can't miss
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever