PHOENIX – A recent audit of nearly 2,000 gas stations around the state revealed that about 17 percent were in violation of compliance laws.
The Annual Gas Pump Report released by Arizona Department of Weights and Measures found that the spike, a 3 percent increase from last year, was mostly due to “meter creep.”
“Meter creep is where there’s no gasoline coming out at all,” said Shawn Marquez of the Arizona Department of Weights and Measures. “The dispenser is slowly ticking away but you’re not getting anything.”
Marquez said other violations included prices not showing or the meter not starting at zero.
The unannounced inspection resulted in over $350,000 worth in penalties.
Marquez recommended reporting any abnormalities at the pump right away.
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas