PHOENIX — From Chandler to Avondale, kids are returning to school this week.
But before you send them out the door with a stuffed backpack, Dr. Michael Chang said pay attention to the weight.
“Ideally, a backpack should weigh 10 to 15 percent of your child’s body weight,” said the surgeon at Sonoran Spine Center.
While studies have shown no permanent damage caused by heavy packs, Chang said about one in three kids will complain of pain after packs hit about 20 percent of their body weight.
“You don’t want to wear the backpack with the straps so loose that the backpack weight is below the hips because that swaying back and forth can also irritate the muscles.”
Using both straps and keeping the weight evenly distributed is best, Chang said.
- Affordable small home makeovers for Mother's Day
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life