PHOENIX — From Chandler to Avondale, kids are returning to school this week.
But before you send them out the door with a stuffed backpack, Dr. Michael Chang said pay attention to the weight.
“Ideally, a backpack should weigh 10 to 15 percent of your child’s body weight,” said the surgeon at Sonoran Spine Center.
While studies have shown no permanent damage caused by heavy packs, Chang said about one in three kids will complain of pain after packs hit about 20 percent of their body weight.
“You don’t want to wear the backpack with the straps so loose that the backpack weight is below the hips because that swaying back and forth can also irritate the muscles.”
Using both straps and keeping the weight evenly distributed is best, Chang said.
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes