PHOENIX — From Chandler to Avondale, kids are returning to school this week.
But before you send them out the door with a stuffed backpack, Dr. Michael Chang said pay attention to the weight.
“Ideally, a backpack should weigh 10 to 15 percent of your child’s body weight,” said the surgeon at Sonoran Spine Center.
While studies have shown no permanent damage caused by heavy packs, Chang said about one in three kids will complain of pain after packs hit about 20 percent of their body weight.
“You don’t want to wear the backpack with the straps so loose that the backpack weight is below the hips because that swaying back and forth can also irritate the muscles.”
Using both straps and keeping the weight evenly distributed is best, Chang said.
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food