PHOENIX — Cooler weather made a splashing return to the Valley on Sunday.
Thanks to a freak rainstorm, Sunday’s high reached a blissful 87. That’s 19 degrees below average. The last time 2013 enjoyed cooler weather was May 8, when it reached 84. That temperature was eight degrees below average.
The record low for July in Phoenix is 63 set July 4-5 1912.
The National Weather Service said the kind of storm that rolled through over the weekend was rare for the Valley.
“It happens about once each summer where we get extremely efficient rainfall producing storms, but they don’t usually fall over the metro area,” said spokesman Chris Kuhlman.
Over a 24-hour period, Cave Creek notched 2 inches of rain, parts of Fountain Hills got 1 inch and southeast Phoenix had 0.71 of an inch.
The storm caused quite a bit of flooding and shut down some major roadways around the Valley.
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon