PHOENIX — Cooler weather made a splashing return to the Valley on Sunday.
Thanks to a freak rainstorm, Sunday’s high reached a blissful 87. That’s 19 degrees below average. The last time 2013 enjoyed cooler weather was May 8, when it reached 84. That temperature was eight degrees below average.
The record low for July in Phoenix is 63 set July 4-5 1912.
The National Weather Service said the kind of storm that rolled through over the weekend was rare for the Valley.
“It happens about once each summer where we get extremely efficient rainfall producing storms, but they don’t usually fall over the metro area,” said spokesman Chris Kuhlman.
Over a 24-hour period, Cave Creek notched 2 inches of rain, parts of Fountain Hills got 1 inch and southeast Phoenix had 0.71 of an inch.
The storm caused quite a bit of flooding and shut down some major roadways around the Valley.
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain