PHOENIX — Cooler weather made a splashing return to the Valley on Sunday.
Thanks to a freak rainstorm, Sunday’s high reached a blissful 87. That’s 19 degrees below average. The last time 2013 enjoyed cooler weather was May 8, when it reached 84. That temperature was eight degrees below average.
The record low for July in Phoenix is 63 set July 4-5 1912.
The National Weather Service said the kind of storm that rolled through over the weekend was rare for the Valley.
“It happens about once each summer where we get extremely efficient rainfall producing storms, but they don’t usually fall over the metro area,” said spokesman Chris Kuhlman.
Over a 24-hour period, Cave Creek notched 2 inches of rain, parts of Fountain Hills got 1 inch and southeast Phoenix had 0.71 of an inch.
The storm caused quite a bit of flooding and shut down some major roadways around the Valley.
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns