Heavy rains flooded Valley washes and streets on Sunday morning, leading to several necessary road closures and rescues.
In Scottsdale, 25 firefighters rescued a driver trapped in a wash near 83rd Street and Desert Cove.
In Phoenix, firefighters were called to two water rescues in one hour, both near 40th Street, south of Shea. The first involved a man in a Paradise Valley neighborhood who was attempting to pass through a wash.
“Initially, the water was right at her door line so she could not make it out,” said Phoenix Fire Captain Larry Nuñez.
The next involved another man who was trying to cross a wash. “He was coming in at a pretty decent speed thinking she could just race through the water but apparently could not,” Nuñez explained. “As soon as the water hit the vehicle, it turned it around and took it down the wash.”
Three blocks from where the man entered the water, rescuers caught up with him and got him to safety. Nuñez says both drivers are okay, but there’s a bigger point he wants to make.
“They’re taking a chance. Obviously if we do have signs up, there is that motorist law and we’ll fine them and they’ll be charged for the rescues.”
In these cases, Nuñez said the water rose so fast that workers could not get all the signs up in time. He says drivers should avoid washes and streets with running water.
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier