Heavy rains flooded Valley washes and streets on Sunday morning, leading to several necessary road closures and rescues.
In Scottsdale, 25 firefighters rescued a driver trapped in a wash near 83rd Street and Desert Cove.
In Phoenix, firefighters were called to two water rescues in one hour, both near 40th Street, south of Shea. The first involved a man in a Paradise Valley neighborhood who was attempting to pass through a wash.
“Initially, the water was right at her door line so she could not make it out,” said Phoenix Fire Captain Larry Nuñez.
The next involved another man who was trying to cross a wash. “He was coming in at a pretty decent speed thinking she could just race through the water but apparently could not,” Nuñez explained. “As soon as the water hit the vehicle, it turned it around and took it down the wash.”
Three blocks from where the man entered the water, rescuers caught up with him and got him to safety. Nuñez says both drivers are okay, but there’s a bigger point he wants to make.
“They’re taking a chance. Obviously if we do have signs up, there is that motorist law and we’ll fine them and they’ll be charged for the rescues.”
In these cases, Nuñez said the water rose so fast that workers could not get all the signs up in time. He says drivers should avoid washes and streets with running water.
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food