Heavy rains flooded Valley washes and streets on Sunday morning, leading to several necessary road closures and rescues.
In Scottsdale, 25 firefighters rescued a driver trapped in a wash near 83rd Street and Desert Cove.
In Phoenix, firefighters were called to two water rescues in one hour, both near 40th Street, south of Shea. The first involved a man in a Paradise Valley neighborhood who was attempting to pass through a wash.
“Initially, the water was right at her door line so she could not make it out,” said Phoenix Fire Captain Larry Nuñez.
The next involved another man who was trying to cross a wash. “He was coming in at a pretty decent speed thinking she could just race through the water but apparently could not,” Nuñez explained. “As soon as the water hit the vehicle, it turned it around and took it down the wash.”
Three blocks from where the man entered the water, rescuers caught up with him and got him to safety. Nuñez says both drivers are okay, but there’s a bigger point he wants to make.
“They’re taking a chance. Obviously if we do have signs up, there is that motorist law and we’ll fine them and they’ll be charged for the rescues.”
In these cases, Nuñez said the water rose so fast that workers could not get all the signs up in time. He says drivers should avoid washes and streets with running water.
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night