A storm that rolled through metropolitan Phoenix on Sunday morning brought about a half-inch of rain, caused flooding in some washes and prompted the closure of several roadways.
No injuries were reported.
The Arizona Department of Transportation said flooding closed U.S. 60 in both directions between Kyrene Road and Mill Avenue in Tempe.
There is flooding on Interstate 10 east from the tunnel to beyond 15th Avenue. The two right lanes were blocked but are now open again but still wet. ADOT recommends taking I-17 south if trying to head to the East Valley.
There was a backup on the southbound SR 51 stemming from a one-car crash blocking the HOV lane near Bethany Home Road. There was also flooding in the right lane southbound near Highland, but all lanes remained open.
Around noon, eastbound Shea Boulevard was closed from 64th to 70th streets because of flooding; the westbound side has one lane open. McCormick Parkway was closed from 73rd to 75th streets, the Scottsdale Police Department said.
On I-40 east, there was rollover crash involving a motorhome about three miles west of SR 95 (milepost 7). The right lane was also closed about 10 miles east of US 93 (mile 83.)
Also, State Route 238 was closed west of the town of Maricopa because of flooding. The closure began at Waterman Wash (milepost 24).
The National Weather Service issued an alert for north-central Pinal County. A strong thunderstorm moved northwest at 30 mph. Wind gusts up to 40 mph were expected, as was lightning and a 1/2- to 3/4-inch of rain.
Areas north of Tucson also were seeing rain on Sunday. A flood advisory was issued for an area 15 miles southwest of Kearny.
On Saturday, southeast Tucson experienced flash flooding from a storm that brought about three-fourths of an inch of rain.
The storm led to several downed electric power lines in Tucson and two water rescue efforts.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas