A storm that rolled through metropolitan Phoenix on Sunday morning brought about a half-inch of rain, caused flooding in some washes and prompted the closure of several roadways.
No injuries were reported.
The Arizona Department of Transportation said flooding closed U.S. 60 in both directions between Kyrene Road and Mill Avenue in Tempe.
There is flooding on Interstate 10 east from the tunnel to beyond 15th Avenue. The two right lanes were blocked but are now open again but still wet. ADOT recommends taking I-17 south if trying to head to the East Valley.
There was a backup on the southbound SR 51 stemming from a one-car crash blocking the HOV lane near Bethany Home Road. There was also flooding in the right lane southbound near Highland, but all lanes remained open.
Around noon, eastbound Shea Boulevard was closed from 64th to 70th streets because of flooding; the westbound side has one lane open. McCormick Parkway was closed from 73rd to 75th streets, the Scottsdale Police Department said.
On I-40 east, there was rollover crash involving a motorhome about three miles west of SR 95 (milepost 7). The right lane was also closed about 10 miles east of US 93 (mile 83.)
Also, State Route 238 was closed west of the town of Maricopa because of flooding. The closure began at Waterman Wash (milepost 24).
The National Weather Service issued an alert for north-central Pinal County. A strong thunderstorm moved northwest at 30 mph. Wind gusts up to 40 mph were expected, as was lightning and a 1/2- to 3/4-inch of rain.
Areas north of Tucson also were seeing rain on Sunday. A flood advisory was issued for an area 15 miles southwest of Kearny.
On Saturday, southeast Tucson experienced flash flooding from a storm that brought about three-fourths of an inch of rain.
The storm led to several downed electric power lines in Tucson and two water rescue efforts.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon