PHOENIX — Detroit has become the largest American city to file for bankruptcy.
Phoenix Mayor Greg Stanton said if residents are worried that Phoenix might be next, they should not be.
Stanton said Phoenix doesn’t have the issues that Detroit does. For example, one of Detroit’s problems is being able to pay for pensions.
“Pensions come up all of the time,” he said. “Phoenix already, during my time as mayor, has already passed pension reform that is going to save $600 million over 25 years. We’re going to work with our labor groups to continue to make changes to our pension system that will save the people of our city money.”
Stanton said that Phoenix has never missed a pension payment.
He also said that Phoenix has something else to boast about.
“The city of Phoenix has the highest credit rating, we balance our budget every single year and we are often looked at as the model for financial management,” said Stanton.
Stanton said that Phoenix will not be following in Detroit’s footsteps.
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them