PHOENIX — Detroit has become the largest American city to file for bankruptcy.
Phoenix Mayor Greg Stanton said if residents are worried that Phoenix might be next, they should not be.
Stanton said Phoenix doesn’t have the issues that Detroit does. For example, one of Detroit’s problems is being able to pay for pensions.
“Pensions come up all of the time,” he said. “Phoenix already, during my time as mayor, has already passed pension reform that is going to save $600 million over 25 years. We’re going to work with our labor groups to continue to make changes to our pension system that will save the people of our city money.”
Stanton said that Phoenix has never missed a pension payment.
He also said that Phoenix has something else to boast about.
“The city of Phoenix has the highest credit rating, we balance our budget every single year and we are often looked at as the model for financial management,” said Stanton.
Stanton said that Phoenix will not be following in Detroit’s footsteps.
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night