PHOENIX — A school that’s been helping needy children for about five years is moving into some new digs in Phoenix.
Kids led the Pledge of Allegiance Friday as the Children’s First Academy opened its new 52,000-square-foot campus near 16th Street and Buckeye.
The school had previously been able to serve about 300 students at its old campus. The new school will house over 500 kindergarten through 9th-grade students. It will eventually grow to be a kindergarten through 12th-grade school.
Academy Executive Director Sharyn Logue said the school offers a lot.
“It is going to allow children to have the complete use of a multi-purpose room, a science lab, a computer center, a full library, as well as a newly-designed food and clothing room,” she said.
Logue said the students are special.
“The vast majority of our children are homeless, and 100 percent of them live below the poverty line,” she said. “Our job is to give them a high-quality education so that they can break the cycle of homelessness and poverty.”
Donations from the Arizona Diamondbacks and other businesses help the charter school offer its services.
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee