PHOENIX — A school that’s been helping needy children for about five years is moving into some new digs in Phoenix.
Kids led the Pledge of Allegiance Friday as the Children’s First Academy opened its new 52,000-square-foot campus near 16th Street and Buckeye.
The school had previously been able to serve about 300 students at its old campus. The new school will house over 500 kindergarten through 9th-grade students. It will eventually grow to be a kindergarten through 12th-grade school.
Academy Executive Director Sharyn Logue said the school offers a lot.
“It is going to allow children to have the complete use of a multi-purpose room, a science lab, a computer center, a full library, as well as a newly-designed food and clothing room,” she said.
Logue said the students are special.
“The vast majority of our children are homeless, and 100 percent of them live below the poverty line,” she said. “Our job is to give them a high-quality education so that they can break the cycle of homelessness and poverty.”
Donations from the Arizona Diamondbacks and other businesses help the charter school offer its services.
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy