FLAVORTOWN — There are the simple pleasures in life: Biting into a crisp apple, lying next to a loved one, seeing the perfect sunset. And then there are those other pleasures, the ones that only trendy Manhattanites with some extra fliff can afford to enjoy.
Thus was invented the “Frozen S'More,” a $7 torched-to-order square of sugary flavor that comes on a stick made of wood smoked in another kind of wood (seriously). It has everyone within walking distance of the Dominique Ansel bakery in SoHo running taste of Ansel's latest decadent treat.
Ansel has become the darling of the desert world after inventing the “cronut,” a deep-fried, unholy union between croissant and doughnut. It took Manhattan by storm and sold out before 9 a.m. every day. He has apparently done it again, less than two months after his previous sucess.
A Frozen S'more is made of a special marshmallow that uses honey for some of the sugar, giving it a sheen and a more delicate flavor. Then, Ansel takes vanilla ice cream coated in chocholate wafers, shove it all up in that marshmallow, and freeze it overnight. And this is no ordinary iced cream, because that would not be nearly good enough. It's based on a special, stretchy and chewy Turkish ice cream called dondurma.
The whole treat is then torched when you order it, and must be eaten in just a few moments. It's served on a willow branch that has been smoked in apple wood on-site in order to simulate the smoke aroma of a camp fire.
“You can't taste it, but you can smell it. It reminds me of campfires when you toast marshmallows,” Ansel told the Daily Mail. “The Frozen S'mores are different, I wanted to give people a unique and special experience.”
Certainly special, if perhaps a little decadent. Nevertheless, the frozen concoction has been wildly popular, selling out by about 1 p.m., according to Fox News.
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America