FLAVORTOWN — There are the simple pleasures in life: Biting into a crisp apple, lying next to a loved one, seeing the perfect sunset. And then there are those other pleasures, the ones that only trendy Manhattanites with some extra fliff can afford to enjoy.
Thus was invented the “Frozen S'More,” a $7 torched-to-order square of sugary flavor that comes on a stick made of wood smoked in another kind of wood (seriously). It has everyone within walking distance of the Dominique Ansel bakery in SoHo running taste of Ansel's latest decadent treat.
Ansel has become the darling of the desert world after inventing the “cronut,” a deep-fried, unholy union between croissant and doughnut. It took Manhattan by storm and sold out before 9 a.m. every day. He has apparently done it again, less than two months after his previous sucess.
A Frozen S'more is made of a special marshmallow that uses honey for some of the sugar, giving it a sheen and a more delicate flavor. Then, Ansel takes vanilla ice cream coated in chocholate wafers, shove it all up in that marshmallow, and freeze it overnight. And this is no ordinary iced cream, because that would not be nearly good enough. It's based on a special, stretchy and chewy Turkish ice cream called dondurma.
The whole treat is then torched when you order it, and must be eaten in just a few moments. It's served on a willow branch that has been smoked in apple wood on-site in order to simulate the smoke aroma of a camp fire.
“You can't taste it, but you can smell it. It reminds me of campfires when you toast marshmallows,” Ansel told the Daily Mail. “The Frozen S'mores are different, I wanted to give people a unique and special experience.”
Certainly special, if perhaps a little decadent. Nevertheless, the frozen concoction has been wildly popular, selling out by about 1 p.m., according to Fox News.
- Affordable small home makeovers for Mother's Day
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life