FLAVORTOWN — There are the simple pleasures in life: Biting into a crisp apple, lying next to a loved one, seeing the perfect sunset. And then there are those other pleasures, the ones that only trendy Manhattanites with some extra fliff can afford to enjoy.
Thus was invented the “Frozen S'More,” a $7 torched-to-order square of sugary flavor that comes on a stick made of wood smoked in another kind of wood (seriously). It has everyone within walking distance of the Dominique Ansel bakery in SoHo running taste of Ansel's latest decadent treat.
Ansel has become the darling of the desert world after inventing the “cronut,” a deep-fried, unholy union between croissant and doughnut. It took Manhattan by storm and sold out before 9 a.m. every day. He has apparently done it again, less than two months after his previous sucess.
A Frozen S'more is made of a special marshmallow that uses honey for some of the sugar, giving it a sheen and a more delicate flavor. Then, Ansel takes vanilla ice cream coated in chocholate wafers, shove it all up in that marshmallow, and freeze it overnight. And this is no ordinary iced cream, because that would not be nearly good enough. It's based on a special, stretchy and chewy Turkish ice cream called dondurma.
The whole treat is then torched when you order it, and must be eaten in just a few moments. It's served on a willow branch that has been smoked in apple wood on-site in order to simulate the smoke aroma of a camp fire.
“You can't taste it, but you can smell it. It reminds me of campfires when you toast marshmallows,” Ansel told the Daily Mail. “The Frozen S'mores are different, I wanted to give people a unique and special experience.”
Certainly special, if perhaps a little decadent. Nevertheless, the frozen concoction has been wildly popular, selling out by about 1 p.m., according to Fox News.
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night