FLAVORTOWN — There are the simple pleasures in life: Biting into a crisp apple, lying next to a loved one, seeing the perfect sunset. And then there are those other pleasures, the ones that only trendy Manhattanites with some extra fliff can afford to enjoy.
Thus was invented the “Frozen S'More,” a $7 torched-to-order square of sugary flavor that comes on a stick made of wood smoked in another kind of wood (seriously). It has everyone within walking distance of the Dominique Ansel bakery in SoHo running taste of Ansel's latest decadent treat.
Ansel has become the darling of the desert world after inventing the “cronut,” a deep-fried, unholy union between croissant and doughnut. It took Manhattan by storm and sold out before 9 a.m. every day. He has apparently done it again, less than two months after his previous sucess.
A Frozen S'more is made of a special marshmallow that uses honey for some of the sugar, giving it a sheen and a more delicate flavor. Then, Ansel takes vanilla ice cream coated in chocholate wafers, shove it all up in that marshmallow, and freeze it overnight. And this is no ordinary iced cream, because that would not be nearly good enough. It's based on a special, stretchy and chewy Turkish ice cream called dondurma.
The whole treat is then torched when you order it, and must be eaten in just a few moments. It's served on a willow branch that has been smoked in apple wood on-site in order to simulate the smoke aroma of a camp fire.
“You can't taste it, but you can smell it. It reminds me of campfires when you toast marshmallows,” Ansel told the Daily Mail. “The Frozen S'mores are different, I wanted to give people a unique and special experience.”
Certainly special, if perhaps a little decadent. Nevertheless, the frozen concoction has been wildly popular, selling out by about 1 p.m., according to Fox News.
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food