PHOENIX — Local royal watchers eagerly await the arrival of the next heir to the British throne and baby watch central seems to be north of Phoenix at a quaint tea room in the heart of Carefree.
Jo Gemmill, owner of English Rose Tea Room, said the baby could change history.
“Up until about a year ago in England, the first-born couldn’t inherit the throne if the baby was a girl,” said Gemmill. “If she has a girl, and we think Kate she is going to have a girl, she could become the Queen of England one day. So it really is a huge thing.”
Gemmill is from Hampshire, England and said she enjoys celebrating momentous occasions with her customers. She’s held celebrations in honor of the royal wedding and the Queen’s Diamond Jubilee.
Most recently, she hosted a royal baby shower and encouraged patrons to bring in baby gifts that were then donated to the UMOM Family Shelter in Phoenix.
“We received so many gifts we had to load them on a red, London double-decker bus, drive down to the shelter and deliver the gifts, it was wonderful,” said Gemmell. “So far away from London, it’s nice to have that connection and share these experiences with my customers,” she added.
Once the baby is born, Gemmell plans to display a large banner with the royal baby’s name and gender. She also plans to have plenty of souvenirs for royal family followers.
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier