PHOENIX — Local royal watchers eagerly await the arrival of the next heir to the British throne and baby watch central seems to be north of Phoenix at a quaint tea room in the heart of Carefree.
Jo Gemmill, owner of English Rose Tea Room, said the baby could change history.
“Up until about a year ago in England, the first-born couldn’t inherit the throne if the baby was a girl,” said Gemmill. “If she has a girl, and we think Kate she is going to have a girl, she could become the Queen of England one day. So it really is a huge thing.”
Gemmill is from Hampshire, England and said she enjoys celebrating momentous occasions with her customers. She’s held celebrations in honor of the royal wedding and the Queen’s Diamond Jubilee.
Most recently, she hosted a royal baby shower and encouraged patrons to bring in baby gifts that were then donated to the UMOM Family Shelter in Phoenix.
“We received so many gifts we had to load them on a red, London double-decker bus, drive down to the shelter and deliver the gifts, it was wonderful,” said Gemmell. “So far away from London, it’s nice to have that connection and share these experiences with my customers,” she added.
Once the baby is born, Gemmell plans to display a large banner with the royal baby’s name and gender. She also plans to have plenty of souvenirs for royal family followers.
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night