PHOENIX — Local royal watchers eagerly await the arrival of the next heir to the British throne and baby watch central seems to be north of Phoenix at a quaint tea room in the heart of Carefree.
Jo Gemmill, owner of English Rose Tea Room, said the baby could change history.
“Up until about a year ago in England, the first-born couldn’t inherit the throne if the baby was a girl,” said Gemmill. “If she has a girl, and we think Kate she is going to have a girl, she could become the Queen of England one day. So it really is a huge thing.”
Gemmill is from Hampshire, England and said she enjoys celebrating momentous occasions with her customers. She’s held celebrations in honor of the royal wedding and the Queen’s Diamond Jubilee.
Most recently, she hosted a royal baby shower and encouraged patrons to bring in baby gifts that were then donated to the UMOM Family Shelter in Phoenix.
“We received so many gifts we had to load them on a red, London double-decker bus, drive down to the shelter and deliver the gifts, it was wonderful,” said Gemmell. “So far away from London, it’s nice to have that connection and share these experiences with my customers,” she added.
Once the baby is born, Gemmell plans to display a large banner with the royal baby’s name and gender. She also plans to have plenty of souvenirs for royal family followers.
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food