It’s all over the national news: Sweltering heat continues in the east, with temperatures in the 90s.
“When we pump in more humidity, heat index values will approach 110 degrees in Philadelphia,” Kate Bilow of Philadelphia’s KYW-TV told CBS’ “This Morning” program.
With air conditioning, many people say 110 degrees is no big deal in Phoenix.
“It seems that people in the desert have acclimated and know how to avoid the hottest parts of the day,” said Dr. Frank Cuntursi, who works in the emergency room at Banner Thunderbird Medical Center.
But Bilow says 110 is a problem in Philly.
“Here in Philadelphia, we have a unique challenge,” Bilow said. “We have a lot of historic brick row homes that retain a lot of heat. They don’t cool down overnight, and many folks don’t have air conditioning. It can be a very dangerous situation.”
Even though Arizonans may be used to the heat, Cuntursi said they need to use common sense and stay cool.
“If you have to go to the mall to cool off because you can’t afford to run your air conditioning during the heat of the day, do it,” he said. “Find shade, or get to a friend’s house that might be cooler than yours.”
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night