It’s all over the national news: Sweltering heat continues in the east, with temperatures in the 90s.
“When we pump in more humidity, heat index values will approach 110 degrees in Philadelphia,” Kate Bilow of Philadelphia’s KYW-TV told CBS’ “This Morning” program.
With air conditioning, many people say 110 degrees is no big deal in Phoenix.
“It seems that people in the desert have acclimated and know how to avoid the hottest parts of the day,” said Dr. Frank Cuntursi, who works in the emergency room at Banner Thunderbird Medical Center.
But Bilow says 110 is a problem in Philly.
“Here in Philadelphia, we have a unique challenge,” Bilow said. “We have a lot of historic brick row homes that retain a lot of heat. They don’t cool down overnight, and many folks don’t have air conditioning. It can be a very dangerous situation.”
Even though Arizonans may be used to the heat, Cuntursi said they need to use common sense and stay cool.
“If you have to go to the mall to cool off because you can’t afford to run your air conditioning during the heat of the day, do it,” he said. “Find shade, or get to a friend’s house that might be cooler than yours.”
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them