It’s all over the national news: Sweltering heat continues in the east, with temperatures in the 90s.
“When we pump in more humidity, heat index values will approach 110 degrees in Philadelphia,” Kate Bilow of Philadelphia’s KYW-TV told CBS’ “This Morning” program.
With air conditioning, many people say 110 degrees is no big deal in Phoenix.
“It seems that people in the desert have acclimated and know how to avoid the hottest parts of the day,” said Dr. Frank Cuntursi, who works in the emergency room at Banner Thunderbird Medical Center.
But Bilow says 110 is a problem in Philly.
“Here in Philadelphia, we have a unique challenge,” Bilow said. “We have a lot of historic brick row homes that retain a lot of heat. They don’t cool down overnight, and many folks don’t have air conditioning. It can be a very dangerous situation.”
Even though Arizonans may be used to the heat, Cuntursi said they need to use common sense and stay cool.
“If you have to go to the mall to cool off because you can’t afford to run your air conditioning during the heat of the day, do it,” he said. “Find shade, or get to a friend’s house that might be cooler than yours.”
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America