PHOENIX — A Valley businessman kicked off a backpack and school supply drive Thursday to benefit foster children.
“I wanted to reach out to an organization that doesn’t get a lot of exposure or that a lot of people don’t know about,” said Edson Salas, a designated broker with the Equity Executives Real Estate Group. “All backpacks and supplies will benefit the Arizona Friends of Foster Children Foundation, they’ll help us distribute them to foster children.”
Children enter the state’s foster care system daily, often yanked from the grip of abusive family members with little to no belongings. These children are provided life’s necessities from state agencies, but if it wasn’t for the Arizona Friends of Foster Children Foundation, they wouldn’t get the things that make every kid feel joy. From sports equipment to dance lessons, bicycles to scholarships, AFFCF is the only organization in the state that provides these “extras” for children in foster care.
“It’s a really great organization, they really care about the kids,” said Salas.
The goal is to collect 500 backpacks full of supplies. You can donate online at equityexecsbackpackdrive.com or stop by the southeast corner of 44th Street and Thomas in Phoenix in the Office Max parking lot on Saturday and drop off your donations. The event runs from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m.
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them