PHOENIX — The Peoria Police Department announced Wednesday that it is participating in a program designed to keep track of people who may wander away from home because of a medical condition.
The Project Lifesaver Program uses tracking devices to monitor those with Alzheimer’s, autism or other conditions who are more likely to wander away from their caregivers.
Those at risk for wandering away are given a waterproof bracelet or wristband with a radio transmitter. Should the person wander off, their caregiver can call 911.
“That would immediately alert us to the fact that they’re not where they’re supposed to be,” said Amanda Jacinto with Peoria police. “We can activate that transmitter in their bracelet and then, with some equipment, locate where that person is.”
Peoria is the only Valley police department participating in the program.
“This program is another tool our officers can now use to help find these folks who may not otherwise make it home safely,” said Peoria Police Chief Roy Minter Jr., in a release.
For more information on the program, go to peoriaaz.gov.
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.