PHOENIX — It’s mid-July but it won’t be long before kids will be heading back to class.
One thing parents need to be concerned about heading into the school year is protecting their child’s identity.
“Eight percent of all victims of identity theft are children 19 years of age and younger,” said Mark Pribish, an identity-theft expert with Merchants Information Solutions in Phoenix.
Pribish said the time children are most likely to have their Social Security Number stolen is when they go back to school.
“When kids are joining high school sports, or the band, or any other extracurricular club event at school, personal identifiable information is being asked on school forms,” Pribish said.
“A very common question is ‘What is the child’s Social Security Number?’ That is not a piece of information that parents should be sharing.”
Pribish said that most schools will honor parental decisions not to give that information to the school.
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier