PHOENIX — It’s mid-July but it won’t be long before kids will be heading back to class.
One thing parents need to be concerned about heading into the school year is protecting their child’s identity.
“Eight percent of all victims of identity theft are children 19 years of age and younger,” said Mark Pribish, an identity-theft expert with Merchants Information Solutions in Phoenix.
Pribish said the time children are most likely to have their Social Security Number stolen is when they go back to school.
“When kids are joining high school sports, or the band, or any other extracurricular club event at school, personal identifiable information is being asked on school forms,” Pribish said.
“A very common question is ‘What is the child’s Social Security Number?’ That is not a piece of information that parents should be sharing.”
Pribish said that most schools will honor parental decisions not to give that information to the school.
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work