PHOENIX — It’s mid-July but it won’t be long before kids will be heading back to class.
One thing parents need to be concerned about heading into the school year is protecting their child’s identity.
“Eight percent of all victims of identity theft are children 19 years of age and younger,” said Mark Pribish, an identity-theft expert with Merchants Information Solutions in Phoenix.
Pribish said the time children are most likely to have their Social Security Number stolen is when they go back to school.
“When kids are joining high school sports, or the band, or any other extracurricular club event at school, personal identifiable information is being asked on school forms,” Pribish said.
“A very common question is ‘What is the child’s Social Security Number?’ That is not a piece of information that parents should be sharing.”
Pribish said that most schools will honor parental decisions not to give that information to the school.
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night