PHOENIX — The first Native American Basketball Tournament sanctioned by the NCAA is back for another action packed weekend of really great basketball.
Teams of some of the best young athletes from around the world have come to Phoenix to take command of the court.
“These kids represent tribes, high school teams, club teams from all over the United States, including Alaska. We also have teams from Canada and New Zealand,” said GinaMarie Scarpa, Founder and CEO of NABI.
“We started the invitational 11 years ago with just local teams and the interest grew and grew, I’m really excited about it.”
The idea behind NABI was to draw attention to the amazing athletic ability these kids possess, but often goes unrecognized by pros in the industry. Founders also attempt to inspire kids to use their abilities and earn scholarships.
“Right when we get burned out and wonder if we are making a difference, we get a letter in the mail that says because of NABI, I was scouted and I signed with a team or I chose to go to college and now I am an engineer or in law school,” Scarpa said.
For more information, visit NABI Foundation.
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.