Editor's note: Helping children eat healthy meals can be a challenge on the best of days. From creative meal ideas to helping children learn to cook to a nutritional guidebook, here is one of the cookbooks that have crossed our desks recently.
“RED LIGHT, GREEN LIGHT, EAT RIGHT: The Food Solution that Lets Kids Be Kids,” by Joanna Dolgoff, MD, Rodale, $21.99, 254 pages
Joanna Dolgoff is most recently known as the pediatrician on “The Biggest Loser” who visited homes of overweight youths, ridding pantries and fridges of unhealthy food.
Don’t worry — these kids (and their families) were a part of the show and welcomed the help of Dolgoff, who specializes in pediatric weight loss. After years as a general pediatrician, Dolgoff felt frustrated, saying in her book, “There wasn’t enough time to have an in-depth conversation with these kids and their parents about the importance of weight management. I felt helpless.”
With that in mind she started her journey as a weight-loss specialist for children. In her book “Red Light, Green Light, Eat Right: The Food Solution that Lets Kids Be Kids,” Dolgoff introduces a way of eating that has “no calorie counting, no dieting and no off-limits food.” With her simple coding — red, yellow and green lights — she color coordinates food and portion sizes to help children get in better shape.
This is an outstanding source for parents who want their children to eat the right foods in the right portions. In addition to dozens of recipes, a detailed 28-page appendix categorizes foods in their respective colors with serving sizes.
A play on the green, yellow and red lights, Dolgoff has peppered “traffic tips” like meal-planning help throughout the book. Easy to read and navigate through, this book is an excellent resource for parents.
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier