Editor's note: Helping children eat healthy meals can be a challenge on the best of days. From creative meal ideas to helping children learn to cook to a nutritional guidebook, here is one of the cookbooks that have crossed our desks recently.
“RED LIGHT, GREEN LIGHT, EAT RIGHT: The Food Solution that Lets Kids Be Kids,” by Joanna Dolgoff, MD, Rodale, $21.99, 254 pages
Joanna Dolgoff is most recently known as the pediatrician on “The Biggest Loser” who visited homes of overweight youths, ridding pantries and fridges of unhealthy food.
Don’t worry — these kids (and their families) were a part of the show and welcomed the help of Dolgoff, who specializes in pediatric weight loss. After years as a general pediatrician, Dolgoff felt frustrated, saying in her book, “There wasn’t enough time to have an in-depth conversation with these kids and their parents about the importance of weight management. I felt helpless.”
With that in mind she started her journey as a weight-loss specialist for children. In her book “Red Light, Green Light, Eat Right: The Food Solution that Lets Kids Be Kids,” Dolgoff introduces a way of eating that has “no calorie counting, no dieting and no off-limits food.” With her simple coding — red, yellow and green lights — she color coordinates food and portion sizes to help children get in better shape.
This is an outstanding source for parents who want their children to eat the right foods in the right portions. In addition to dozens of recipes, a detailed 28-page appendix categorizes foods in their respective colors with serving sizes.
A play on the green, yellow and red lights, Dolgoff has peppered “traffic tips” like meal-planning help throughout the book. Easy to read and navigate through, this book is an excellent resource for parents.
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy