PHOENIX — The Phoenix Zoo allowed their newest bear cub to make his first public appearance on Tuesday.
Luka, a 7-month-old Andean bear, was born in January to proud mama bear Rio.
There are less than 2,000 wild Andean bears left in the world. Phoenix Zoo worker, Rebecca Benham explained the significance of his birth.
“There have only been five Andean bears born in the last, probably six or seven or more years in North America, so this is a very important birth for Andean bears.”
Luka is currently 25 pounds but is expected to reach over 250 pounds by the time he is fully grown.
Luka can be seen at the Phoenix Zoo climbing trees, snacking on leaves and keeping cool in his ice-filled kiddie pool.
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night