PHOENIX — The Phoenix Zoo allowed their newest bear cub to make his first public appearance on Tuesday.
Luka, a 7-month-old Andean bear, was born in January to proud mama bear Rio.
There are less than 2,000 wild Andean bears left in the world. Phoenix Zoo worker, Rebecca Benham explained the significance of his birth.
“There have only been five Andean bears born in the last, probably six or seven or more years in North America, so this is a very important birth for Andean bears.”
Luka is currently 25 pounds but is expected to reach over 250 pounds by the time he is fully grown.
Luka can be seen at the Phoenix Zoo climbing trees, snacking on leaves and keeping cool in his ice-filled kiddie pool.
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy