PHOENIX — The Phoenix Zoo allowed their newest bear cub to make his first public appearance on Tuesday.
Luka, a 7-month-old Andean bear, was born in January to proud mama bear Rio.
There are less than 2,000 wild Andean bears left in the world. Phoenix Zoo worker, Rebecca Benham explained the significance of his birth.
“There have only been five Andean bears born in the last, probably six or seven or more years in North America, so this is a very important birth for Andean bears.”
Luka is currently 25 pounds but is expected to reach over 250 pounds by the time he is fully grown.
Luka can be seen at the Phoenix Zoo climbing trees, snacking on leaves and keeping cool in his ice-filled kiddie pool.
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths