PHOENIX — A settlement has been reached to reimburse dozens of Valley citizens that were defrauded by a fake telemarketing company.
Last year, the Arizona Attorney General’s Office began receiving complaints about a company that would call people at home offering them an opportunity to run “online shopping malls” affiliated with Amazon.com. The fraudulent company preyed mainly upon senior citizens on fixed incomes.
Customers paid thousands of dollars to be part of the business venture but would see nothing in return.
“They would call consumers and sell them online shopping mall websites and then they would also offer advertising to promote the website,” Attorney General Press Secretary Stephanie Grisham said.
After the complaints, the Attorney General’s Office began to investigate the two owners of Superior Marketing Group and found they were in fact swindling consumers.
The office reached a settlement with the company and seized approximately $400,000, which will be repaid to the victims that filed complaints.
Grisham also warned others to be skeptical when looking to invest in certain companies.
“If it sounds to good to be true it generally is, if you get a call from anybody offering up any kind of a business opportunity, before even filing a complaint with us, you can always check with the Better Business Bureau to see if these people are legitimate and have a good rating.”
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier