PHOENIX — A settlement has been reached to reimburse dozens of Valley citizens that were defrauded by a fake telemarketing company.
Last year, the Arizona Attorney General’s Office began receiving complaints about a company that would call people at home offering them an opportunity to run “online shopping malls” affiliated with Amazon.com. The fraudulent company preyed mainly upon senior citizens on fixed incomes.
Customers paid thousands of dollars to be part of the business venture but would see nothing in return.
“They would call consumers and sell them online shopping mall websites and then they would also offer advertising to promote the website,” Attorney General Press Secretary Stephanie Grisham said.
After the complaints, the Attorney General’s Office began to investigate the two owners of Superior Marketing Group and found they were in fact swindling consumers.
The office reached a settlement with the company and seized approximately $400,000, which will be repaid to the victims that filed complaints.
Grisham also warned others to be skeptical when looking to invest in certain companies.
“If it sounds to good to be true it generally is, if you get a call from anybody offering up any kind of a business opportunity, before even filing a complaint with us, you can always check with the Better Business Bureau to see if these people are legitimate and have a good rating.”
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development