PHOENIX — A settlement has been reached to reimburse dozens of Valley citizens that were defrauded by a fake telemarketing company.
Last year, the Arizona Attorney General’s Office began receiving complaints about a company that would call people at home offering them an opportunity to run “online shopping malls” affiliated with Amazon.com. The fraudulent company preyed mainly upon senior citizens on fixed incomes.
Customers paid thousands of dollars to be part of the business venture but would see nothing in return.
“They would call consumers and sell them online shopping mall websites and then they would also offer advertising to promote the website,” Attorney General Press Secretary Stephanie Grisham said.
After the complaints, the Attorney General’s Office began to investigate the two owners of Superior Marketing Group and found they were in fact swindling consumers.
The office reached a settlement with the company and seized approximately $400,000, which will be repaid to the victims that filed complaints.
Grisham also warned others to be skeptical when looking to invest in certain companies.
“If it sounds to good to be true it generally is, if you get a call from anybody offering up any kind of a business opportunity, before even filing a complaint with us, you can always check with the Better Business Bureau to see if these people are legitimate and have a good rating.”
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night