PHOENIX — A settlement has been reached to reimburse dozens of Valley citizens that were defrauded by a fake telemarketing company.
Last year, the Arizona Attorney General’s Office began receiving complaints about a company that would call people at home offering them an opportunity to run “online shopping malls” affiliated with Amazon.com. The fraudulent company preyed mainly upon senior citizens on fixed incomes.
Customers paid thousands of dollars to be part of the business venture but would see nothing in return.
“They would call consumers and sell them online shopping mall websites and then they would also offer advertising to promote the website,” Attorney General Press Secretary Stephanie Grisham said.
After the complaints, the Attorney General’s Office began to investigate the two owners of Superior Marketing Group and found they were in fact swindling consumers.
The office reached a settlement with the company and seized approximately $400,000, which will be repaid to the victims that filed complaints.
Grisham also warned others to be skeptical when looking to invest in certain companies.
“If it sounds to good to be true it generally is, if you get a call from anybody offering up any kind of a business opportunity, before even filing a complaint with us, you can always check with the Better Business Bureau to see if these people are legitimate and have a good rating.”
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food