SCOTTSDALE, Ariz. — The Honest Tea Company set up shop at Scottsdale’s Kierland Commons on Monday.
“It’s basically an unmanned kiosk where people have the option to pay a dollar for an Honest Tea or steal a bottle,” said company spokesman Joe Stemmer. “It’s all on the honor system.”
Over a 10-hour period, Stemmer and his colleagues watched from a distance and recorded who paid and who did not.
“Females definitely tend to be more honest, I can say that,” he said.
KTAR spotted one woman who checked her purse and deposited a dollar before grabbing a bottle.
“It’s a fair price, it’s a buck and I have a buck. Obviously, if it was ten dollars I would walk past, but I wouldn’t take something,” she said.
Last year they tested Tempe and found 92 percent of people were honest. In Oakland and Salt Lake City, every person paid for their tea, while only 61 percent of people did in Brooklyn’s Atlantic Terminal.
Results from this year’s National Honesty Index are due out later this month.
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night