SCOTTSDALE, Ariz. — The Honest Tea Company set up shop at Scottsdale’s Kierland Commons on Monday.
“It’s basically an unmanned kiosk where people have the option to pay a dollar for an Honest Tea or steal a bottle,” said company spokesman Joe Stemmer. “It’s all on the honor system.”
Over a 10-hour period, Stemmer and his colleagues watched from a distance and recorded who paid and who did not.
“Females definitely tend to be more honest, I can say that,” he said.
KTAR spotted one woman who checked her purse and deposited a dollar before grabbing a bottle.
“It’s a fair price, it’s a buck and I have a buck. Obviously, if it was ten dollars I would walk past, but I wouldn’t take something,” she said.
Last year they tested Tempe and found 92 percent of people were honest. In Oakland and Salt Lake City, every person paid for their tea, while only 61 percent of people did in Brooklyn’s Atlantic Terminal.
Results from this year’s National Honesty Index are due out later this month.
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon