SCOTTSDALE, Ariz. — The Honest Tea Company set up shop at Scottsdale’s Kierland Commons on Monday.
“It’s basically an unmanned kiosk where people have the option to pay a dollar for an Honest Tea or steal a bottle,” said company spokesman Joe Stemmer. “It’s all on the honor system.”
Over a 10-hour period, Stemmer and his colleagues watched from a distance and recorded who paid and who did not.
“Females definitely tend to be more honest, I can say that,” he said.
KTAR spotted one woman who checked her purse and deposited a dollar before grabbing a bottle.
“It’s a fair price, it’s a buck and I have a buck. Obviously, if it was ten dollars I would walk past, but I wouldn’t take something,” she said.
Last year they tested Tempe and found 92 percent of people were honest. In Oakland and Salt Lake City, every person paid for their tea, while only 61 percent of people did in Brooklyn’s Atlantic Terminal.
Results from this year’s National Honesty Index are due out later this month.
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier