PHOENIX — Resident in the East Valley will begin cleaning up their neighborhoods Tuesday after monsoonlike weather blew through the area, knocking out power and uprooting trees in the southeast suburbs.
Weather radar showed several storm cells circling the Valley and severe weather was reported around town. The National Weather Service said winds of up to 60-70 mph.
The wind was so severe in the Ahwatukee area of southeast Phoenix that it knocked down the scoreboard at Desert Vista High School’s football field.
— Matthew Pace (@DrMatt12News) July 16, 2013
KTAR’s Bruce St. James said a semitruck was blown over on Interstate 10 and there was nearly zero visibility on I-10 near Pecos Road and that some freeway signs were down.
In a tweet, SRP said power was cut to about 4,500 customers. By Tuesday morning less than 50 were without electricity.
The National Weather Service issued a severe thunderstorm warning Monday for both Pinal and Maricopa counties and a lightning alert was issued at Sky Harbor Airport, meaning that lightning was spotted within 10 miles of the airport.
There is a 40 percent chance for rain Tuesday, with scattered showers late afternoon into the evening.
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon