PHOENIX — Resident in the East Valley will begin cleaning up their neighborhoods Tuesday after monsoonlike weather blew through the area, knocking out power and uprooting trees in the southeast suburbs.
Weather radar showed several storm cells circling the Valley and severe weather was reported around town. The National Weather Service said winds of up to 60-70 mph.
The wind was so severe in the Ahwatukee area of southeast Phoenix that it knocked down the scoreboard at Desert Vista High School’s football field.
— Matthew Pace (@DrMatt12News) July 16, 2013
KTAR’s Bruce St. James said a semitruck was blown over on Interstate 10 and there was nearly zero visibility on I-10 near Pecos Road and that some freeway signs were down.
In a tweet, SRP said power was cut to about 4,500 customers. By Tuesday morning less than 50 were without electricity.
The National Weather Service issued a severe thunderstorm warning Monday for both Pinal and Maricopa counties and a lightning alert was issued at Sky Harbor Airport, meaning that lightning was spotted within 10 miles of the airport.
There is a 40 percent chance for rain Tuesday, with scattered showers late afternoon into the evening.
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night