PHOENIX — Summertime in northern Arizona means camp-outs and a chance encounter with bears.
Arizona is in a long-term drought which means bears are hungry and thirsty. Forest Road 171 was closed recently near Young, Ariz., east of Payson, because of an increase in bear sightings. It will be closed to camping until the area has been cleared of bears.
“They’re hurting right now and looking for food sources and if they can find an easy source in your tent or a cooler, they’ll go for it and they will keep returning to that campsite,” said Kim Carr with the Southwest Wildlife Conservation Center. “If they become a nuisance they will have to be removed or destroyed, unfortunately.”
The Southwest Wildlife Conservation Center is offering its annual “Be Bear Aware” event Tuesday to teach people about bear safety and how to reduce the risk of attracting a bear to campsites. Carr said bears can smell food for miles. Anything that has the aroma of food needs to be stored away.
“Cooking utensils, even the clothes you cook in will attract bears and shouldn’t be stored in a tent. You need to dispose of food properly and store it properly. ”
Reservations and a $30 pre-payment are required for Tuesday’s event. To register, call (480) 471-3621 or sign up on the group’s website. The Southwest Wildlife Conservation Center is located on 156th Street south of Rio Verde in Scottsdale.
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon