PHOENIX — A Valley real estate expert said the recent boost in mortgage interest rates isn’t slowing the home-buying market.
The interest rate boost is actually working in the buyer’s favor, according to Dean Wegner with Guaranteed Rate. He said for the past couple of years sellers held all the cards, picking from multiple offers. This interest rate boost levels the playing field.
“Buyers will have more flexibility negotiating with an easier close of escrow, you won’t get bullied by other buyers or their agents,” he said.
And to potential home buyers who are frightened off by a 5 percent mortgage rate, Wegner said rentals come with a 100 percent interest rate.
Wegner said the rate hike to almost 5 percent prevented a possible housing bubble because seeing home prices jump 20 percent year over year was unsustainable.
“We needed something to hit the brakes.”
Wegner said the interest rate boost will add about $150 each month to the mortgage on a $250,000 home and much of that is tax deductible.
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night