PHOENIX — The ‘Bottomless Pit’ in the Flagstaff area has been an attractive nuisance for more than a century. The name is somewhat misleading. It’s called the bottomless pit but it’s not.
“It’s open fractures and cave features as far down as 2,000 feet below the surface,” said Don Bills with the U.S. Geological Survey in Flagstaff.
During heavy rain and runoff, the Rio de Flag pools with water, filling up this deep hole, which lies on private property, before it eventually disappears into the ground.
“In 1988 there was actually a lake starting to develop there. People went out there, heard a roar and found nothing but a big hole in the ground,” Bills said.
He is among the few allowed to see the pit.
“It’s fenced off and the property owner realizes it can be a hazard and are sensitive to that.”
In 1991 two boys climbed into the pit to explore and got stuck. They had to be rescued by fire crews.
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food