PHOENIX – The acquittal of George Zimmerman in a Sanford, Fla. courthouse on Saturday has had a ripple effect across the nation and now a rally has been planned to be held Sunday evening in Phoenix.
Civil Rights Activist, the Reverend Jarrett Maupin and community leaders will rally together at 6:00pm tonight outside the Department of Justice offices in Downtown Phoenix.
“We will gather together to confront injustice in a non-violent way,” says Maupin.
When reached by KTAR, he elaborated on the decision to respond via rally.
“A lot of people are outraged and angry and they want to express that frustration and I feel the best means for us to do that is through non-violent civil disobedience.”
The Reverend is calling for peace at tonight’s rally, encouraging people to gather in a spirit of love and community.
“We must honor the martyred, including Trayvon, by continuing the long march towards racial equality and justice,” he says. “Non-violence is the means by which we hold the moral high-ground in this struggle. We can’t compromise the dignity of today’s civil right’s movement by engaging in violence and the evils of racism.”
Maupin says the objective of the rally is to get the Department of Justice to file federal charges against Zimmerman for violating Martin’s civil rights.
“I feel this is one of the most shocking miscarriages in recent American history. I feel that the jury got it wrong and I question the ability of the jury because it was predominantly right to see through some of the veneer put on the situation.”
“Trayvon was a victim of racial profiling. Before his life was robbed from him, he was targeted because of the color of his skin,” Maupin said.
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon