PHOENIX – The acquittal of George Zimmerman in a Sanford, Fla. courthouse on Saturday has had a ripple effect across the nation and now a rally has been planned to be held Sunday evening in Phoenix.
Civil Rights Activist, the Reverend Jarrett Maupin and community leaders will rally together at 6:00pm tonight outside the Department of Justice offices in Downtown Phoenix.
“We will gather together to confront injustice in a non-violent way,” says Maupin.
When reached by KTAR, he elaborated on the decision to respond via rally.
“A lot of people are outraged and angry and they want to express that frustration and I feel the best means for us to do that is through non-violent civil disobedience.”
The Reverend is calling for peace at tonight’s rally, encouraging people to gather in a spirit of love and community.
“We must honor the martyred, including Trayvon, by continuing the long march towards racial equality and justice,” he says. “Non-violence is the means by which we hold the moral high-ground in this struggle. We can’t compromise the dignity of today’s civil right’s movement by engaging in violence and the evils of racism.”
Maupin says the objective of the rally is to get the Department of Justice to file federal charges against Zimmerman for violating Martin’s civil rights.
“I feel this is one of the most shocking miscarriages in recent American history. I feel that the jury got it wrong and I question the ability of the jury because it was predominantly right to see through some of the veneer put on the situation.”
“Trayvon was a victim of racial profiling. Before his life was robbed from him, he was targeted because of the color of his skin,” Maupin said.
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier