PHOENIX — Prompted by misbehavior among local skaters, the City of Scottsdale has taken steps to keep the McDowell Mountain Ranch Skate Park near Frank Lloyd Wright Boulevard and Thompson Peak Parkway a haven for fun.
Starting Monday, skaters will have to pay for access to the park. It’s an attempt to monitor activity that has included vandalism, bullying and fighting at the facility.
The cost is $26 for a six-month pass or $1 per visit.
“Litter, graffiti, we’ve had vandalism. We have a lot of people breaking the rules, some bullying going on, fights and other illegal behavior,” said Lindsay Adarme, recreation coordinator for the city.
“We’re trying to take a proactive approach to figure out who’s doing what and to make sure our parks are being used for what they are intended for,” she added.
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain