Recent estimates by the Economic Policy Institute revealed the high costs of raising a family in several metro areas of the country, including the Phoenix-Mesa-Scottsdale area.
The Atlantic Cities reported just how much is needed annually for families across several metropolitan areas in the US to lead a “secure yet modest living standard,” by calculating public transportation needs, child care and the number of people in the household.
But the federal poverty line, which sits at $23,550 for a family four, doesn’t take all those factors into account.
The numbers that come out the other end don’t look anything like the federal poverty line. How much does a two-parent, two-child household in New York City need? $93,502.
The local annual budget for a family of four in the Valley? $68,489.
Atlantic Cities says that just by making a little more than the poverty line won’t still get you anywhere far from that modest living standard.
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas