Recent estimates by the Economic Policy Institute revealed the high costs of raising a family in several metro areas of the country, including the Phoenix-Mesa-Scottsdale area.
The Atlantic Cities reported just how much is needed annually for families across several metropolitan areas in the US to lead a “secure yet modest living standard,” by calculating public transportation needs, child care and the number of people in the household.
But the federal poverty line, which sits at $23,550 for a family four, doesn’t take all those factors into account.
The numbers that come out the other end don’t look anything like the federal poverty line. How much does a two-parent, two-child household in New York City need? $93,502.
The local annual budget for a family of four in the Valley? $68,489.
Atlantic Cities says that just by making a little more than the poverty line won’t still get you anywhere far from that modest living standard.
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food