PHOENIX — Fifteen people were injured in a large rollover crash near Casa Grande, Ariz., on Friday.
The victims were hospitalized after a 15-passenger van crashed at milepost 194 on Interstate 10.
“This was a church van,” said Arizona Department of Public Safety spokesman Bart Graves. “There was a heavy downpour. The vehicle hydroplaned. The driver lost control. The vehicle rolled over.”
The passengers, primarily a number of young boys, sustained minor injuries.
A large dust storm was moving through the area at the time.
During dust storms, the visibility on I-10 drops to near-zero.
The Arizona Department of Transportation says motorists should avoid driving into dust storms in the first place by planning ahead and being prepared to change travel plans.
The driver-safety campaign advises motorists who find themselves in a dust storm to pull off the highway and park in a safe place off the pavement.
Other recommendations include turning off all lights, keeping your foot off the brake and staying in the vehicle while waiting for the storm to pass.
KTAR’s Martha Maurer and the Associated Press contributed to this report.
- 7 common ways to get sued by your employees
- Why it might be time to upgrade your toilet
- Arizona teachers are building a better future by using technology in the classroom
- How to make summer reading fun for the whole family
- How to find relief for chronic joint pain
- Can the NBA Lottery save the Suns?
- Skip Urgent Care: 5 ailments you can treat with telemedicine
- Skin Cancer in Arizona: Stats, facts and new immunotherapy drugs making strides
- Distracted walking injuries end up not so funny
- Scary situations: 5 quick tips before you let a contractor in your home
- Four ways telemedicine is changing the health care industry
- 5 mistakes homeowners make in the spring
- Three rivers run through it: Exploring Arizona's waterways
- Smart home basics: things you need to know to get started
- 5 Surprising things causing back pain
- Arizona agriculture is a $17.1B industry
- Timeline: Arizona's roots in brewing history
- 5 reasons to love the D-backs this season
- Tips for taking your home entertainment experience to the backyard
- Tech-related injuries your parents never experienced
- Workers comp: Signs your co-worker could be a fraud
- Who's the real founder of America's pastime?
- Epidemic rising? What you need to know about Alzheimer's in Arizona
- 5 unforgettable Wooden Award winners
- Family and hard work are keys to success of modern dairy farmers
- Genetic testing could hold answers for colon cancer survival
- Cold beers and baseball: A beer lover's guide to Spring Training
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments