PHOENIX — Fifteen people were injured in a large rollover crash near Casa Grande, Ariz., on Friday.
The victims were hospitalized after a 15-passenger van crashed at milepost 194 on Interstate 10.
“This was a church van,” said Arizona Department of Public Safety spokesman Bart Graves. “There was a heavy downpour. The vehicle hydroplaned. The driver lost control. The vehicle rolled over.”
The passengers, primarily a number of young boys, sustained minor injuries.
A large dust storm was moving through the area at the time.
During dust storms, the visibility on I-10 drops to near-zero.
The Arizona Department of Transportation says motorists should avoid driving into dust storms in the first place by planning ahead and being prepared to change travel plans.
The driver-safety campaign advises motorists who find themselves in a dust storm to pull off the highway and park in a safe place off the pavement.
Other recommendations include turning off all lights, keeping your foot off the brake and staying in the vehicle while waiting for the storm to pass.
KTAR’s Martha Maurer and the Associated Press contributed to this report.
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food