PHOENIX — A new group will assist the community affected by the Yarnell Hill Fire as it undergoes the rebuilding and recovery process.
The Yarnell Hill Recovery Group is composed of community leaders who are volunteering their time to help their residents restore order to their lives.
“About 20 people gathered together by phone and around the kitchen table, began talking, set up a steering committee, set up a kind of initial committee structure and we’ve been working ferociously since then,” said Frances Lechner, who represents the Yarnell Hill Fire Department board in the recovery group.
Lechner said the group will work to distribute resources for emergency housing, financial assistance, medical treatment, cleanup and contractor referral.
“We’re already a tightly-knit community and this is bringing us even closer together,” she said. “People who have lost their homes are working on this committee to help other people, so it’s just very, very moving.”
According to the group, the average age of a community member is 64 and a majority live on an income less than $16,000 per year.
Lechner said the group will do its best to work with numerous non-profit groups that have raised, in total, hundreds of thousands of dollars to ensure that the funds are distributed where they are most needed.
For more information about the Yarnell Hill Recovery Group, click here.
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets