NEW RIVER, Ariz. — When monsoons storms hit, the rain could force rattlesnake from their holes. That not only puts humans at risk, but also their dogs.
With that in mind, many Phoenix-area pet owners head to New River for a valuable lesson.
On Jim Walkington’s dirt driveway, five rattlesnakes slither in two cages.
“An untrained dog that hears that, it piques their curiosity,” said Walkington, owner of Viper Voidance. “They think, ‘a new dog toy, I’m going to go up there and sniff that.’ ”
But it’s no laughing matter. Rattlesnakes bite about 15,000 dogs and cats every year in the U.S.
Most of those are fatal. It’s why uses Walkington uses a shock collar to train dogs.
“When the dog comes up here and finds the snake, then they got shocked,” said Walkington.
Some might think it’s a harsh method, but it can save a dog’s life.
“That’s how they make the association that these things are dangerous and I don’t want to go up to them.”
Walkington’s trained over 100 breeds of dogs to avoid rattlesnakes. He said most of them learn after the first lesson to stay away.
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development