NEW RIVER, Ariz. — When monsoons storms hit, the rain could force rattlesnake from their holes. That not only puts humans at risk, but also their dogs.
With that in mind, many Phoenix-area pet owners head to New River for a valuable lesson.
On Jim Walkington’s dirt driveway, five rattlesnakes slither in two cages.
“An untrained dog that hears that, it piques their curiosity,” said Walkington, owner of Viper Voidance. “They think, ‘a new dog toy, I’m going to go up there and sniff that.’ ”
But it’s no laughing matter. Rattlesnakes bite about 15,000 dogs and cats every year in the U.S.
Most of those are fatal. It’s why uses Walkington uses a shock collar to train dogs.
“When the dog comes up here and finds the snake, then they got shocked,” said Walkington.
Some might think it’s a harsh method, but it can save a dog’s life.
“That’s how they make the association that these things are dangerous and I don’t want to go up to them.”
Walkington’s trained over 100 breeds of dogs to avoid rattlesnakes. He said most of them learn after the first lesson to stay away.
- 7 common ways to get sued by your employees
- Why it might be time to upgrade your toilet
- Arizona teachers are building a better future by using technology in the classroom
- How to make summer reading fun for the whole family
- How to find relief for chronic joint pain
- Can the NBA Lottery save the Suns?
- Skip Urgent Care: 5 ailments you can treat with telemedicine
- Skin Cancer in Arizona: Stats, facts and new immunotherapy drugs making strides
- Distracted walking injuries end up not so funny
- Scary situations: 5 quick tips before you let a contractor in your home
- Four ways telemedicine is changing the health care industry
- 5 mistakes homeowners make in the spring
- Three rivers run through it: Exploring Arizona's waterways
- Smart home basics: things you need to know to get started
- 5 Surprising things causing back pain
- Arizona agriculture is a $17.1B industry
- Timeline: Arizona's roots in brewing history
- 5 reasons to love the D-backs this season
- Tips for taking your home entertainment experience to the backyard
- Tech-related injuries your parents never experienced
- Workers comp: Signs your co-worker could be a fraud
- Who's the real founder of America's pastime?
- Epidemic rising? What you need to know about Alzheimer's in Arizona
- 5 unforgettable Wooden Award winners
- Family and hard work are keys to success of modern dairy farmers
- Genetic testing could hold answers for colon cancer survival
- Cold beers and baseball: A beer lover's guide to Spring Training
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments